Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pirate Hangovers are the best!

Such a whirlwind week..

Ride your Bike to Work Week around the country…I participated..even up in Anchorage. 

I only ride a few miles each day, but it is invigorating to be cruising along and taking nature in. I enjoy the aches and pains my knees give me..ok maybe not, but it is worth it.

On Thursday night, my dad and his girlfriend arrived in Anchorage after 8 long days driving up from Oregon. They had a good time seeing more of Alaska than I have seen yet…

Friday comes and I got my Alan Garner costume from the Hangover. I rode my bike to work early, through the Native Health Consortium and got bagels and water, then bacon and pancakes at APU. I won best costume…well, I was the only one who dressed up. But it was a hit. I won a bike bell and biking gloves for my efforts. At about 7:45am, my co-worker gets a call that a baby moose was just born on campus. We got to go investigate and let others know about it, as a mama moose gets very agitated and territorial when she gives birth…L3down apartment…be warned…Update…another baby moose was born over at Segelhurst the night before…2 moose calves in 2 days!

Friday afternoon meant driving to Homer..Salty Dawg Saloon, the Time Bandit, and seafood of epic proportions were had…Saturday meant Seward, Exit Glacier, and then a long drive home to eat some BBQ at the Turnagin Arm(pit)…beautiful sunset on the kenai with a rainbow in the background..

I plan on doing a float trip down the kenai this summer…anyone want to go? I really need to make this happen before it gets cold again.

Talkeetna on Sunday…meant to go to Denali, but got a late start and it was a looooong drive anyways..went to historic West Rib and had the Seward’s Folly Burger as seen on Man vs Food. It kicked my ass…but I tried to make it respectable. The waitress complimented me and she was a cutie..my dad made me take our picture together…

By the way…I can now say it officially….You cannot see Russia from Wasilla….no way in hell…I think I might get the new book her aide put out about her last week…might get me up to speed on her shenanigans.

Lastly, went to Portage Glacier, Whittier, and the Alaska Conservation Center. Which one sucked? Whittier…that’s what sucked. A 2.5 mile tunnel one way through a mountain to an epic load of nothingness tourist traps…

Saw the Portage Glacier calve off twice..that was epic…Dad and Sandy really liked that one..then the wildlife center..I liked the brown bear cubs best…but the elk and reindeer were nice too..

Whew…a whirlwind few days…but family visit is almost over…my truck is here…and I get to be on duty…

Pirates marathon the next few nights so I can go see #4 and then the Hangover 2! I am wearing my Alan costume to the movies, then shaving finally…a little over 3 weeks and it’s super itchy..no more beard!

No comments: