Monday, May 9, 2011

Anchorage in May

So it takes a little patience to sit and wait for Spring to arrive in Anchorage. The mountains still have a gorgeous coating of snow on them in the distance, but the trees are all still bare and Autumn-like. Looking out my window, one would think that it was a decent day, past Halloween, with the auspice of Thanksgiving being right around the corner. While a nice dish of turkey and cranberry sauce would be welcomed at this point, I am craving some buds on the trees, the grass to show me a hint of green, and the birds to be flying North to reclaim their humble abodes.

If you dare, shorts can be worn with caution, slippers as well too. If you can handle the bitter bite of the winds off of the Cook inlet, then throw caution to the wind and bestow upon yourself a mindset that summer is also on it’s way. After 3 years of wearing shorts, polos, and slippers to work, I am finding that shoes and socks are over-rated. Layering is a must as I find myself fighting off the bitter chill in the early mornings and the late evenings. I had to buy gloves to wear on my bike rides as my hands were frozen by the time I arrived at work or at home.

Now I am not the most fashion forward person with a sense of what’s hip and cool. A hipster I am not, but I find myself shopping for name brands ever more often now. A nice fleece from North Face keeps me much warmer than an off brand fleece that costs about a third of the price. But this makes sense, buying something of higher quality will undoubtedly make you warmer up here. I have gotten good at seeing sales up here as I am trying to find the right gear that will allow me to be presentable and to be functional. Only time will tell as the season changes to Fall and Winter. A whole new wardrobe will be in order as I will pack away all but the select few tshirts that allow me my individuality.

One more nice long sleeve light jacket, a rain jacket, a pair of waterproof trail shoes, and a nice pair of work shoes and I will be set. Throw in a new pair of jeans or two, some dress pants, and I am hoping to be set. Clothes…we need em, but I hate paying and shopping for them. If only Ross were up here..guess Old Navy will have to do and random sales at Sports Authority, REI, and Fred Meyers.

No comments: